Skip to main content

IM Italian Magazine Subscriptions

The Secret to Overcoming Writer's Block

Image Source: Unicadmo

The Secret to Overcoming Writer's Block

I had to learn this the hard way. Four years ago, I ended up in the hospital. They found something in my brain. It was too deep for neurologists to risk going in. The first thing that happens with brain trauma is that you lose balance. This is a physical balance but of course, it would make sense that if you cannot balance your body that perhaps you cannot balance your mind. There are lots that are happening inside your brain. The surrounding nerves are trying to take on the function of the damaged nerve. 

I was in the midst of writing my series when this happened to me. Before the injury, I was having the best days of my life. I had a balanced life, mind, and body. My creativity was functioning at its maximum. I had been practicing yoga for three years. And, I had reached that mediated state of mind that nothing and no one could distract or break me. During one of my yoga lessons, the instructor advised, "Plant your dream seed. When it is ready, it will grow. If it is not ready, it will not grow." 

I planted my dream seed. In that state of mediated mind, I prayed, "I wish I could sit and finally finish that book that I always wanted to write." In no time, 5 months later, my dream seed started to grow. The story, "The Town of Mohaba" came rushing. I continued practicing yoga and more so while writing. It had become a ritual. I would go to yoga after work. It helped me empty my mind. I would become present and wrote without losing my focus. 

The Logic Behind Writer's Block

Writers feel blocked because they cannot concentrate. Perhaps, distracted by other things in their life. From my experience, writer's block is an unbalanced mind lacking concentration. It is an occupied mind. If a writer can achieve being present then logically there would be no blocks. It is that simple. For this reason, I recommend yoga. The essence of yoga is to bring you into the present. It fuels your body and mind with balance. 

It is impossible to not be present while breathing in and out holding your yoga poses. The many of the yoga positions require you to hold without losing balance. This requires a huge amount of concentration. You are breathing in and out. You are also holding poses that are difficult and require your attention. Your mind is shut. You cannot think of anything else. When you are in the moment, nothing is a distraction. Therefore, there is nothing that is blocking your mind to write. Your writer's block is cured with yoga.

Yoga and Balance

What yoga essentially does for you is that it relaxes your mind. It gives your mind a break and a balance that your body needs. Unfortunately, our bodies can't speak for themselves or they would ask you for meditation or yoga. Although I had imagined one hour a day would take so much time away from my writing, the one-hour commitment was the reason I was able to finish my drafts faster and stay focused on the book. If you take too much time away from your writing then the story is not as natural. That is why I recommend yoga to help you beat your writer's blocks. This way, you can continue doing what you are good at and that is to make your stories flow.

Let's rewind my brain injury 4 years ago. The biggest pain of my life was to give up yoga. I couldn't balance my right side of the body. I suffered and still have many symptoms like sensitivity to light and horrible migraines. Nothing has changed, the scar is still there. But, with some years passed, the surrounding nerves have taken on the function of the damaged nerve. I can balance much better now.

I wanted to blog about this topic on writer's block today because today was my second day that I went to yoga and unlike 4 years ago, my body can now balance. I am not always well. I suffer right side weakness but to be able to do yoga when I'm well is a miracle. Today, after a long time, I felt like I am back to where I belong. Paying attention to me. It has been a very difficult few year coping with my brain symptoms.

If you haven't thought about yoga, give it a try. You may not see the effect in the first couple of classes. You are learning the poses and how to breathe properly. But, once you master it within few lessons, you will not want to go without mediating, relaxation or yoga as part of your daily routine. Think of its benefits: A free therapy. If you wish, you can practice it at home and not even pay for any classes. There are plenty of Yoga lessons that you can find on YouTube. 

The yoga place that I enjoyed most used to be far from my home. But, last year, I moved closer. For one year, I would pass by and remember those good old days. I thought that I would never be able to do yoga. The yoga place is now across the street from my home. I don't have to drive there. This means that it will only take me 10 minutes with a quick shower to return to my computer and continue writing my series. I like to conclude with a quote. Feel free to contact me via social media or e-mail. And like and follow me on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thetownofmohaba/

"Those who can control their mind and not their mind control them will always be the ones who will win in this life." 

- Nazanin Marzban  
Author of, "The Town of Mohaba" Vol. 1 "Death" Available Worldwide





Comments

  1. This Article by Nazanin Marzban can be found at its rightful owner's magazine blog at: https://www.crownlightmagazine.com/2019/05/the-secret-to-overcoming-writers-block.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Will music interfere or help with writing?

      Image Source: Becca Clark Will music interfere or help writing? I used to believe that music would interfere with writing. However, I  later discovered that it actually boosted my creativity. I then began experimenting listening to different genres. To my surprise, any song with no singing in the background helped increase my imagination. I started listening to ambient and movie soundtracks (love, action, drama etc.).  I am now unable to write my stories without listening to some type of music.   One of the benefits of listening to a song while writing is that it can play the role of a writing prompt. When I listen to a soundtrack, the next time that I start playing it, it takes me back to my writing without any effort. If I am  writing a scene that I need to revisit, the same soundtrack will help bring my memory back.  Music can also trigger different emotions within the writer. I find that when  I am working on a tr...

Creating Heroines

Heroines are always a complicated subject to tackle. They are similar to villains in that you have to know their back story before you begin. The advantage with most heroines though, is that the whole book is about them. The reader will learn the back story as the book moves along. The same tips and tricks for villains can be used for heroines and even heroes so be sure to read that post first. I think most writers have trouble writing heroines. The tendency is to make them hard and unforgiving. They are written like a man with a few female traits thrown in to remind the reader they are female. A lot of writers forget that they are women first. The heroine may have been raised under the harshest of conditions, but they are still women. They think differently than men. They may be able to shut off emotions, but they are still present and can still cause problems. A good heroine is a woman first and a hero second. It sounds odd I know, because you never think of Wonder Woman cryin...

Egoists

Picture By Napoleon Sarony  By F. Guzzardi James Gibbons Huneker (January 31, 1857 – February 9, 1921) was an American art, book, music, and theater critic. A colorful individual and an ambitious writer, he was "an American with a great mission," in the words of his friend, the critic Benjamin De Casseres, and that mission was to educate Americans about the best cultural achievements, native and European, of his time. Literary critic Huneker's support of the new realism of Theodore Dreiser, Stephen Crane, and Frank Norris put him in the forefront of literary critics c. 1900-1910 Music critic   In the 1880s, Huneker served the music editor of the Musical Courier followed by stints with the New York Sun , the New York World , the New York Times , and the Philadelphia Press . In his columns, he proselytized for Richard Wagner, Claude Debussy, Richard Strauss and Arnold Schoenberg   Art critic Though his love of Renaissance art, especially ...