Skip to main content

IM Italian Magazine Subscriptions

Talks with Mussolini

 By F. Guzzardi

Emil Ludwig (originally named Emil Cohn) was born in Breslau, now part of Poland. Born into a Jewish family, he was raised as a non-Jew but was not baptized. “Many persons have become Jews since Hitler," he said. "I have been a Jew since the murder of Walther Rathenau [in 1922], from which date I have emphasized that I am a Jew.” Ludwig studied law but chose writing as a career. At first he wrote plays and novellas, also working as a journalist. In 1906, he moved to Switzerland, but, during World War I, he worked as a foreign correspondent for the Berliner Tageblatt in Vienna and Istanbul. He became a Swiss citizen in 1932, later emigrating to the United States in 1940.
At the end of the Second World War, he went to Germany as a journalist, and it is to him that we owe the retrieving of Goethe's and Schiller's coffins, which had disappeared from Weimar in 1943/44. He returned to Switzerland after the war and died in 1948, in Moscia, near Ascona. In 1944, Ludwig wrote a letter to the New York Times where he urged that "Hitler’s fanaticism against the Jews could be exploited by the Allies. The Three Powers should send a proclamation to the German people through leaflets and to the German Government through neutral countries; threatening that further murdering of Jews would involve terrible retaliation after victory. This would drive a wedge into the already existing dissension of the generals and the Nazis, and also between ultra-Nazis and other Germans.”

Ludwig interviewed Benito Mussolini and on 1 December 1929 

 
Our conversations took place evening after 
evening across this table. The reader must 
understand that their fundamental theme is, not 
so much the burning questions we discussed, as 
the character of Mussolini which, in its 
manifold face tings, I was end endeavoring to grasp. 
The following pages, therefore, are not Platonic 
dialogues in which this subject or that is 
exhaustively dealt with. Nevertheless, the nature of 
our talks is based upon the polarity of the 
interlocutors. I had devoted much time and thought 
to the question how I could best confront my 
own views with his, how I could most effectively 
induce him to speak frankly and freely while 
avoiding the danger of entering into one of those 
ponderous “disputations” which are fatal to 
conversation in any true sense of the term.
Like all true dictators, Mussolini shows the 
utmost courtesy. It would seem as if such men, 
between races, like to make their steed prance 
gracefully upon the saddling ground. He never 
appeared nervous or out of humor, but fingered 
a pencil while he was talking or sometimes 
sketched with it idly (I have seen the same 
trick in another dictator). He fidgeted a good 
deal in his chair, like a man whom long continued 
sitting makes uneasy. It has been said that at 
times he breaks off in the middle of his work, 
mounts a motor cycle, and races off to Ostia with 
one of his children sitting pillion -the police 
detailed to protect him dashing after him in a 
desperate attempt to keep in touch. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will music interfere or help with writing?

      Image Source: Becca Clark Will music interfere or help writing? I used to believe that music would interfere with writing. However, I  later discovered that it actually boosted my creativity. I then began experimenting listening to different genres. To my surprise, any song with no singing in the background helped increase my imagination. I started listening to ambient and movie soundtracks (love, action, drama etc.).  I am now unable to write my stories without listening to some type of music.   One of the benefits of listening to a song while writing is that it can play the role of a writing prompt. When I listen to a soundtrack, the next time that I start playing it, it takes me back to my writing without any effort. If I am  writing a scene that I need to revisit, the same soundtrack will help bring my memory back.  Music can also trigger different emotions within the writer. I find that when  I am working on a tr...

Creating Heroines

Heroines are always a complicated subject to tackle. They are similar to villains in that you have to know their back story before you begin. The advantage with most heroines though, is that the whole book is about them. The reader will learn the back story as the book moves along. The same tips and tricks for villains can be used for heroines and even heroes so be sure to read that post first. I think most writers have trouble writing heroines. The tendency is to make them hard and unforgiving. They are written like a man with a few female traits thrown in to remind the reader they are female. A lot of writers forget that they are women first. The heroine may have been raised under the harshest of conditions, but they are still women. They think differently than men. They may be able to shut off emotions, but they are still present and can still cause problems. A good heroine is a woman first and a hero second. It sounds odd I know, because you never think of Wonder Woman cryin...

Egoists

Picture By Napoleon Sarony  By F. Guzzardi James Gibbons Huneker (January 31, 1857 – February 9, 1921) was an American art, book, music, and theater critic. A colorful individual and an ambitious writer, he was "an American with a great mission," in the words of his friend, the critic Benjamin De Casseres, and that mission was to educate Americans about the best cultural achievements, native and European, of his time. Literary critic Huneker's support of the new realism of Theodore Dreiser, Stephen Crane, and Frank Norris put him in the forefront of literary critics c. 1900-1910 Music critic   In the 1880s, Huneker served the music editor of the Musical Courier followed by stints with the New York Sun , the New York World , the New York Times , and the Philadelphia Press . In his columns, he proselytized for Richard Wagner, Claude Debussy, Richard Strauss and Arnold Schoenberg   Art critic Though his love of Renaissance art, especially ...