Skip to main content

IM Italian Magazine Subscriptions

Egoists



Picture By Napoleon Sarony 
By F. Guzzardi

James Gibbons Huneker (January 31, 1857 – February 9, 1921) was an American art, book, music, and theater critic. A colorful individual and an ambitious writer, he was "an American with a great mission," in the words of his friend, the critic Benjamin De Casseres, and that mission was to educate Americans about the best cultural achievements, native and European, of his time.
  • Literary critic
Huneker's support of the new realism of Theodore Dreiser, Stephen Crane, and Frank Norris put him in the forefront of literary critics c. 1900-1910
  • Music critic
 In the 1880s, Huneker served the music editor of the Musical Courier followed by stints with the New York Sun, the New York World, the New York Times, and the Philadelphia Press. In his columns, he proselytized for Richard Wagner, Claude Debussy, Richard Strauss and Arnold Schoenberg 
  • Art critic
Though his love of Renaissance art, especially the Flemish realism of Hans Memling and Jan van Eyck, had been formed in his early trips to Europe and often guided his tastes, Huneker was appreciative of the new, more experimental art of Post-Impressionists like Paul Gauguin, Vincent van Gogh, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Odilon Redon, and Henri Matisse and, among Americans, the modern artists of Alfred Stieglitz's circle (e.g., John Marin, Marsden Hartley), the African-American Impressionist Henry Ossawa Tanner, and the realists of the Ashcan School. 
  • Theater critic
Huneker's tastes in drama were particularly modern. He recommended Henrik Ibsen, August Strindberg, Anton Chekhov, George Bernard Shaw (intermittently), Gerhart Hauptmann, Arthur Schnitzler, and Frank Wedekind to American audiences long before most theatergoers were ready to accept their works. Wedekind's Spring's Awakening especially appealed to him as "a milestone in the modern theater's fight against sexual taboos."


 Egoist

A book of Superman

https://www.amazon.com/Egoists-Book-Superman-James-Huneker/dp/1947488155/ref=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=money105-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=040b8ecbaab94adcfe00352fef715fd9&creativeASIN=1947488155This new edition of "Egoist" published in US from Hoffmann & Hoffmann that saw his first appearance in 1909, is wholly devoted to those modern poets, philosophers and prose masters whose writings embody the individualistic idea as opposed to altruistic and socialistic sentiments. Amply discussed are Stendhal, whose cult, recently revived on the Continent, is steadily growing; Maurice Barres, French Academician; Anatole France, blithe pagan and delicious ironist; Max Stimer, the forerunner of Nietzsche; The mystics, Ernest Hello new to American readers and William Blake. Much new historical material can be found in the studies of Charles Baudelaire and Gustave Flaubert. The hitherto unpublished letter of the novelist, along with an original page proof of "Madame Bovary," corrected by his own hand, will prove of interest to his admirers. That brilliant virtuoso of the French language, J. K. Huysmans, forms the subject of a chapter, while certain phases of Nietzsche, including his famous published biography, "Ecce Homo", and Ibsen dramas, are also subjects of discussion. Altogether the book represents the most mature critical and analytical thought of the author applied to some of the most interesting literary characters in the modern Europe of 1909.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will music interfere or help with writing?

      Image Source: Becca Clark Will music interfere or help writing? I used to believe that music would interfere with writing. However, I  later discovered that it actually boosted my creativity. I then began experimenting listening to different genres. To my surprise, any song with no singing in the background helped increase my imagination. I started listening to ambient and movie soundtracks (love, action, drama etc.).  I am now unable to write my stories without listening to some type of music.   One of the benefits of listening to a song while writing is that it can play the role of a writing prompt. When I listen to a soundtrack, the next time that I start playing it, it takes me back to my writing without any effort. If I am  writing a scene that I need to revisit, the same soundtrack will help bring my memory back.  Music can also trigger different emotions within the writer. I find that when  I am working on a tr...

Creating Heroines

Heroines are always a complicated subject to tackle. They are similar to villains in that you have to know their back story before you begin. The advantage with most heroines though, is that the whole book is about them. The reader will learn the back story as the book moves along. The same tips and tricks for villains can be used for heroines and even heroes so be sure to read that post first. I think most writers have trouble writing heroines. The tendency is to make them hard and unforgiving. They are written like a man with a few female traits thrown in to remind the reader they are female. A lot of writers forget that they are women first. The heroine may have been raised under the harshest of conditions, but they are still women. They think differently than men. They may be able to shut off emotions, but they are still present and can still cause problems. A good heroine is a woman first and a hero second. It sounds odd I know, because you never think of Wonder Woman cryin...